Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 258 - A letter to someone who needs it.

Dear Anna,

Yes, this is to you. It's to the petite ginger girl who is currently sitting on my futon working on French homework. It's to the girl with the pink pen and her feet in fourth position, with the cozy sweatshirt and the heart that is filled with gold.

Tomorrow is your birthday. And I read your posts on Tumblr. All of them. And I must say, my dear, that I'm worried about you. I'm worried that you don't realize how truly wonderful you really are, and how lucky we all are to be able to call you a friend. I'm especially lucky to be able to call your a best friend.

Sometimes I don't think you see yourself clearly at all. You are talented: you are a flag girl with ambition and enthusiasm. You're smart: eighteen credits, Bio, P-Chem, French. You're a wonderful friend: giving hugs, giggling, and making time for everyone when they need it. You're a wonderful sister: making sure your siblings are doing okay, and having fun when all of you need it. You are a wonderful person, Anna. And I really wish you could see yourself from my point of view. You'd be amazed.

For your birthday, I want you to be happy. Truly happy. Happy with a capital H. The kind when you smile for no reason, and walk on air. I only wish that this gift could be wrapped in a box with a pretty pink bow. But you know what else I want for you? I want you to have a day without worries, or fears. One where you can see how much of an amazing person you are, and one where all of the self-doubts and second guessings just fly away into the setting sun, never to be seen again.

That's my wish for you. And as you enter another year of your life, I hope that you'll continue your search for happiness.

And Anna? I want you to find your destination. And I want you to send me a postcard when you get there, wherever it may be, because no matter what, it'll be the best place on earth.

You are an amazing and beautiful person, Anna, both inside and out.

Lots of love,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment