Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 194 - Woeful Winifred

Today has been up and down.

Woke up and just lounged around for a bit, mostly reading, taking a shower, etc. Finally went out with my mom around 12:30 to Costco (we needed page protectors) and to lunch.

As our last errand, we stopped by Bes Buy becaue my laptop, Winifred, has been sick lately. It's been quite sad. Basically, within the past couple of months, the webcam all of a sudden stopped working. The little light next to the webcam would still come on, but no picture would show up. Very odd.

So we went to Best Buy to talk to the geeks [it's a self-imposed name, don't worry] who asked me a whole bunch of questions. Yes, I had uninstalled and reinstalled all of the programs. Yes, I had run for updates. They told me another thing to do, but one was very pessimistic. He said it was part of the hardware of the computer, and that it'd have to be shipped out to get fixed. We finally decided that it wouldn't work, and so that left me with three options:

  1. Buy an external webcam. Though this sounds like a good idea, I always think that they're a bit strange, and rather pricey to get one to attach to a laptop. Plus, I haven't ever really heard good things about the ones made for laptops, since most laptops come with an internal webcam.
  2. Ship the computer out to get fixed. Winifred would have to be shipped out, taken apart, fixed, then sent back. The bottom line? It's pricey. As in, the men told me I'd be better off with Option #3.
  3. Buy a new computer. It doesn't need to be fancy, or super expensive, but a good, reliable laptop that won't break two years into my ownership. We went over to the computer section and talked to someone about computers and I might have found a couple, but we'll see.
I'm sorry to say that Winifred may not make it to the new school year. But he'll have a nice home here in sunny Louisiana - I'm sure he'll enjoy being retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment