Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 17 - Someone from your Childhood

Dear Anna,

We were best friends. Granted, we were also about four years old and lived across the street from each other, but we were still best friends. We both only had brothers, and were somewhat thrown together by necessity - one mom would take the boys, the other, the girls. I remember growing up together - playing with dolls, with the Barbie houses, and watching endless princess movies.

We made plans for the future: big houses on the lake, with husbands that were twins (and who also resembled Ken ...), and kids who would grow up and be best friends just like us. We wanted to live in castles, and be whisked away by a handsome Prince Charming.

Instead you were whisked away somewhere else. Massachusetts maybe? It's been so long, I'm sorry that I can't remember. I tried to write to you once, a couple of years after you had moved, once I had finally figured out how to hold a pencil and write more than just my name. The letter came back - it appeared that you had moved again, and this time I couldn't find you.

I still have pictures of us, as well as home movies. My fourth birthday party, us playing dress-up, the normal childhood games. Sometimes I wonder what ever came of you - where you ended up, how you liked school, who your new friends were, and whether you still had a knack for punching your brothers. I tried to look you up on Facebook once, but I couldn't figure out who you were. Maybe if you give me a clue, we could actually follow through with our Princess Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment