Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5 - My Dreams

This is so general, I don't know even where to start. I mean, I have lots of different types of dreams. The kinds that come at night, short-term and long-term goals for myself, as well as my hopes for the future of our society.

Last night I dreamed about Bear Bryant. I may be slightly obsessed with the former University of Alabama football coach, but I'm not ashamed. He was amazing. I mean, he held (and may still hold) the record for most career wins, and coached for over 50 years of his life .... football wasn't just a game, it was truly his life and soul. I guess it wasn't that strange to see him in my dream - I was starting classes and he just came to my dorm room and gave me words of encouragement. Well .... maybe 'encouragement' isn't the right word .... he basically told me not to fail, otherwise the entire university would look down on me. But that was his form of a pep talk. And it worked. The Bear always wanted his players to become the best men that they could be, and part of me hopes to live up to his expectations, regardless of the fact that I never met the legend, and he passed away before I was alive.

I guess my main hope right now is to do well in what I love, and to be good enough to not be forgotten. I want to be like the Bear in this sense: I want what I do to not be a job, I want it to be what I breathe, dream, and live for. I may not know what I want to do in the future right this moment, but I dream that one day my children, or even grandchildren, can look back and say, "Yeah, that was my mom (or grandma). Look at what she did." I want them to be proud of me for how much I have pushed myself and how far I've reached to be the best that I can be. Maybe I'll only become a housewife, or maybe I'll be an executive at one place or another. But my only hope is that I can make it wherever I'm going and love it all the time. Because, after all, why have a dream if I'm only going to be disappointed and unhappy once I finish the journey there?

No comments:

Post a Comment