Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 112 - A photo of your town

Well, there are three:

Current Town
The one in which I am currently sitting at a desk, looking around a dormitory room that is half empty (not half full), and debating if I actually want to study for finals. It has been my home for the last eight months, yet I have to leave it in just a few short days. In this time, I need to write a paper, take a final, finish packing all of my junk, and, probably the hardest, say goodbye to most of the friends I've made throughout the year. That's going to be the toughest, because these people have become my family - they're the ones who are always around, who I can go to and cry, or go and raid their closet. They're my best friends, my surrogate siblings, and my role models.

(please ignore the arrow - it was pointing to a specific building)

In 4 Days
I'll be moving back to my historic home - well, the actual house isn't historic, but I mean that this is where I grew up. This is where I've spent the last 18 years of my life, but it isn't necessarily my 'home' anymore. Yes, we have a house there. And yes, I do go and visit. Yes, my friends live there (some of them, for some of the year), but no, I don't think of this place first when someone asks about my home. That's coming in a little bit. It was wonderful to grow up here - the parks and water were soothing, the schools were excellent, and nothing bad could happen. Really. I was so fortunate to live here, and not a day goes by that I don't wish that every child could have the childhood that I had.


In 3 Weeks
This is home. Or at least, this is where I think of when I think of home, even though I've only lived here for 2 years. I love the history of the South, and I love learning about it. I love feeling like the people did who lived in the plantations, or walking where so many things happened. Certainly, not all of these things are good, but not all of history is good, either. I love the people, with the slow drawl and their always-polite manners. I love the formality of everything, and the way that there are things that haven't seemed to change for years. There's more to my love of Baton Rouge, but I can't put it into words. This is where I want to be, and this is where I go when I dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment