Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 93 - A photo that makes you happy


This is where I want to call home. Though I know that it's impossible. But the photo makes me smile every time I look at it - in fact, it's my computer background right now.

This house is a historic landmark in Louisiana, and it's also a plantation home. My dad and I went to see it one day over Spring Break, and I remember driving up the winding drive thinking "If only I lived here .... this seems like home."

There were open fields to the left of us, and ancient live oak trees to the right. A white picket fence lined the way, and old iron gates announced where the driveway used to be. There were beautiful gardens (including two immaculately maintained French gardens), a guest house or two, and this. The big house. With its wrap-around porch, complete with rocking chairs, wrap-around balcony, white paint, and gorgeous interior. I wanted to move. Never mind the multi-million dollar price tag that came along with it.

This photo reminds me of the South. It reminds me of the history of the place where we're moving, and how I've embraced that history (there isn't a vacation that goes by without me begging my dad to go to a plantation home). It reminds me of the sun, and of the warmth, both of which are in desperate shortage here at Michigan. But most of all, it reminds me of family, and of the amazing times I've had with my dad, and my mom, and my brother too.

This photo reminds me of home, and it never ceases to put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment