Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 96 - A photo that makes you laugh


So it may seem disturbing that I find a picture of rifles amusing, but there's a story to go along with it.

Over Spring Break, there were a couple of days that I was down there with my brother and dad. It wasn't that big of a deal until one day, when the two of them decided to go to Cabela's - an outdoorsy store. The one in Baton Rouge is huge, and for some reason, both of them were intent on looking at guns.

I, on the other hand, did not want to do so much as even touch one. I had been outvoted to make the trip (I petitioned to get two votes, since I was in the gender minority), and was hoping there'd be a nice clothing section ... or at least sports section. Nope. About half the store was devoted to guns, the other half to cross-bows and (much to my disgust) skinning/butchering equipment.

But the trip ended up being alright, which is where the funny picture comes in. Quite honestly, I had fun badgering around with my brother about not touching a gun (though there was a cute pink handgun that I didn't mind looking at). And it was absolutely hilarious to see my dad, decked out in dress pants, a button down shirt, and loafers (he had left his suit coat in the car) holding a rifle, and talking to the expert about the best caliber rifle to go hunting with.

So I don't find guns funny - I really don't. I know they can hurt people, and I'm not always too crazy about what they do to animals either. But it was pretty hilarious to see my dad, a staunch tax attorney, debating the pros and cons of a 12 gauge rifle.

No comments:

Post a Comment