Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 36 - A song that reminds you of somewhere

There are a decent amount of songs that remind me of places: All Summer Long, Sweet Home Alabama, even University of Michigan's Victors or The Yellow and Blue. But I think there's one song that reminds me of multiple places at once: Michael Buble's Home.


I guess this reminds me of three places. Because I have three homes:

When I first heard this song, it was the summer of 2010. I was in Baton Rouge for five weeks with my family, but was missing my friends. One sent this to me, and I couldn't stop listening to it. I wanted to go 'home' to Grosse Pointe. To where my friends were, to where a budding relationship was, to where my pets and history were. I thought of Baton Rouge as a temporary home - a place for family gathering, and a place to tan by the pool.

But once I left Baton Rouge, I realized that I came to call that home too. It was where family was ... and though I may not have had a history there, I knew in my heart that home was where my family was. As soon as my mom and I crossed into Mississippi on our way back up north, I wanted nothing more than to turn around, go back to the apartment, and transfer to LSU, where I would never have to leave Baton Rouge. But I knew that wasn't possible. So I had two homes.

The third came slowly, and I knew it was going to come. The place is Ann Arbor. It is where I live most of the time, have most of my friends (or at least, all of my friends that are together); it's where my things are, and where at least some of my family is. It's close to my history, and only a short drive to the airport to where my newest home is. And it'll be my home for the next four years, no matter where else I can place the 'home' label to. We may move again, or sell our house in Grosse Pointe, but I'll always know that I have Ann Arbor to reside in, if only for eight months out of the year.

So that's it. This song reminds me of all three places, because no matter where I am, a little part of me always wants to be in the other places: whether it's for my history, my family, or my stuff. I'll always want to go home. Even when I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment