Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 59 - A song from your childhood

Alright. So this is a bit tough. I didn't really listen to music when I was younger, and the only songs that I ever really knew were either lullabies or classical music that I listened to at home (sometimes we had classical music in the background, not quite sure why though). Since I don't really remember any of the classical songs, here's something that I would fall asleep to every night:


So I'm not going to lie: I like it when my mom sings it better. Her voice is so soothing, and not nearly as .... lively as this version of the song.

But I also have to admit that this isn't the song that I wanted to put on. But I couldn't find a video of the song. It's called "I See the Moon," and though there are versions of the song on YouTube, none of the version that I grew up with. It goes:

I see the moon
The moon sees me
The moon sees the one I want to see.
Please let the moon that shines on me
Shine on the one I love

Over the mountains
Over the seas
That's where my true love
Is waiting for me.

So please let the moon that shines on me
Shine on the one I love.

It's a sad premise - being separated from the one that you love. But I've also found that this is the song that I sing to myself if I'm having a bad time, and want to be somewhere else, or with someone else. It's the song that I sing when I'm missing someone, and just wish that we could be connected in some way.

I sang it to myself last summer, when I was separated from my friends and the person I was starting a relationship with. I sang it when we had to leave Louisiana to head back up north. I sang it when I couldn't fall asleep on the first night at college. And I sing it when I just need to remind myself that somewhere, someone is looking at the same moon, and the same stars. And that person might be thinking about me, just as I am about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment