Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 157 - "I'm intrigued, tell me more"

So I know the day isn't over yet, but I've come to the conclusion that there isn't much more that will happen today, other than making dinner, eating dinner, doing homework, and working-out. Shower, sleep. That's about what my life has boiled down to.

Today was the first day of classes, and I must admit, I was a tad nervous. Not only was I scared of getting lost, but also just for class in general. But mostly about getting lost. You see, I have a really weird sense of direction. As long as I know my cardinal directions, I can figure streets out easily. Which is probably why Michigan is so good - the planners made it so that the Graduate Library (the giant building that everyone knows) faces directly North. So it's really easy for me to put everything into perspective based on how I am oriented to the Grad Library. LSU isn't like that. Nope. They have curvy streets, and I get turned around really really easily. So getting lost wasn't only an option, it was almost a requisite step this morning.

I woke up super early (6:50 a.m.) so that I could register for the course and pay the university (they decided on Friday to purge my schedule, so I had to re-do everything). After straightening my hair, doing make-up, and finally deciding on an outfit, I packed my backpack and headed out 50 minutes before my class was scheduled to begin. To some of you, this might not be super early, but considering the fact that I can make it to campus in under 10 minutes, even I admit it was pretty ridiculous.

But it's a good thing I did, because after parking and walking to the building (I didn't get lost on the way there!), I learned that LSU doesn't believe in building maps. Oh, and the building my class was being held in had 2 wings, both numbered the exact same way. Not the smartest thing, is it? Nope. It took me 20 minutes for me to find my ground-floor classroom, and stopped 4 or 5 innocent people to ask "Am I going the right way??" I only took 3 wrong turns. I would consider that a success.

Class wasn't too bad - we got let out 40 minutes early (it's supposed to be an hour and a half class), but it was pretty entertaining when the professor wanted us to go around the room and introduce ourselves. She wanted name, class standing, and why we took the course. When it was my turn, I stood up and said
Hi, I'm Claire, and I'm going to be a sophomore at the University of Michigan in the fall. I took this course because it sounded interesting, and it was one of the few classes Michigan would take as transfer credit.
The next person stood up, and tried to start talking, but the professor exclaimed, "Hold on, I'm intrigued, tell me more." She wanted to know why I was at LSU, whether I was transferring, what classes I'd taken at Michigan, and where I was originally from (she was from Canada and was curious). It was pretty funny, since she took a liking to me because we're "fellow Northerners." I'm thinking that we'll get along just perfectly.

Since class, I've gone grocery shopping (I'm making a kind of potato casserole thing to go with our grilled entrĂ©e) and am now slowly making my way through reading the textbook for the course. I need to read 120 pages by next Thursday, which really isn't a bad workload (considering what I've had to do in the past), but I think the hardest part as a Michigan student is getting over the fact that I have to read a textbook written by an (ewww) Ohio State professor (Ohio State and Michigan have one of THE largest rivalries).

I wonder whether the professor will understand my unwillingness to do the required readings ....

No comments:

Post a Comment