Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day 65 - Your definition of love

I'd just like to say that I'm back on track - I'm back in my normal place, and there are no foreseeable days of travel that will prevent me from posting.

My definition of love? That's tough. And I mean really really tough. I guess not only because I'm not quite sure I've experienced it in the way people normally think of "love" (as in, a romantic way), but also because there are just so many dang types of it. So why not try a definition by examples?

Love is when someone's flaws are overshadowed by their brilliance. It's when you strive to understand every part of someone, even if the things you learn aren't necessarily your favorite, or always nice. It's when you try to become one person, but eventually accept the fact that you can't, but that's okay too.

Love is when you know just what the other person needs at any time: a hug, a pat on the back, a shoulder to lean against or cry on, a text merely saying "I miss you," or a phone call just to listen to all of the inconsequential things that have happened throughout the day.

Love is not breaking promises. Or, rather, not making promises that you can't (or don't intend to) keep.

But that's not the only kind of love there is. There's also the type of love for a place, when you can't think about being anywhere else. This type of love is when you smile for no reason when you think about the object (or place).

It's about thinking "I'm finally home." And I think that qualification (the "home" one) is true for every type of love, be it for a person, a place, or even a thing.

You want to know my definition of love?

Love is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment